Quality of Life Impact
What is the impact of Lymphedema on a patient's Quality-of-Life?
• Chronic swelling of a limb or body part.
• Condition is progressive and tends to worsen over time.
• Limited Range of Motion and heaviness of the Limb can occur.
• Recurrent episodes of infection (Cellulitis) can occur which can lead to short term hospitalization with each episode.
• Hardening and thickening of the skin and tissues which can result in advanced tissue fibrosis, progressive skin pathologies and ulcerations.
• Cosmetic issues such as difficulty with clothes or shoes fitting properly due to deformity of the limb.
• Necessity for altered lifestyle because occupational activities or activities of daily living could exacerbate Lymphedema.
• On-going clinical care could be required to maintain the condition within manageable parameters.
• Ongoing patient out-of-pocket expenses for what insurance will not cover.
• Depression due to fatigue, psycho/social impact with an overall diminished quality-of-life.